- Dedicated PGY1 academic half day July — Jan. Provides junior residents with opportunities to achieve EPAs, review care for urgent/emergent situations, transition to discipline.PGY2/3 academic half day: formal curriculum meeting the objectives in training for Internal Medicine Simulation curriculum
- Resident research curriculum
- Workshops (point of care ultrasound, communication, etc)
- OSCEs x 2 / year
- Morning report, ECG rounds, Infectious Disease rounds, evidence based medicine rounds, quality improvement and safety rounds, noon rounds, grand rounds weekly
Royal College Exam Preparation
- Our PGY3’s are provided with protected time for Royal College exam preparation Jan-June of their exam year.
There is a formal curriculum of OSCE practice, and opportunity to study with/receive coaching feedback from a faculty member from each sub specialty
- Additional one hour sessions of senior resident teaching are provided before the start of the usual PGY2/3 half day
- Dedicated study week block 7
Masters in Clinical Epidemiology
Our program offers the ability to complete a Masters in Clinical Epidemiology while working as an Internal Medicine resident. The residents are given protected time for lectures. There is also an option for a Diploma in Clinical Epidemiology.
Certificate in Medical Education
Our program offers the ability to complete a certificate in Medical Education while working as an Internal Medicine resident. The residents are given protected time for lectures.
The program in Internal Medicine is constantly evaluating and striving to improve residents’ educational experience. Residents play a large role in the ongoing of improvement through regular feedback and evaulation. Feedback sessions with the program director and residents are held during every block to ensure timely, clear communication of resident issues directly to the program director in a town hall format.
- We have moved to a Competence By Design curriculum. We use a dedicated MUNCAT app for EPA completion.
- Regular clinical coaching is provided to our residents.
- There is opportunity for international electives
- The ratio of faculty to residents is 3:1
- Average patient load is variable — an estimate would be 10-20 patients per resident
- Annual resident well being retreat (normally held in February of each year)
- Annual resident social hosted by the program director
- Wellness committee