The McMaster Psychiatry Postgraduate Program at the Waterloo Regional Campus is to promote the achievement of the Royal College CanMEDS competencies such that graduates will be well-trained to work as psychiatrists in community hospitals and outpatient settings, to provide care for marginalized and vulnerable populations.
Unique highlights of the program include:
- Training in a variety of hospital, community and rural settings.
- Training that supports the development of the knowledge, skills and experiences required to function independently as a competent psychiatrist in a community based setting
- Outstanding clinical learning opportunities in a variety of settings
- Robust psychotherapy training
- A cohesive resident group
- A unique system for academic learning in the One Room Schoolhouse which has been very well received by the resident body
- Responsiveness to resident ideas and initiatives
- Individualized training experiences with flexibility by the program
- Strong support for scholarship in research, education and academic realms
- Dedicated, enthusiastic faculty